Your future starts here!
If you wish to enroll in an undergraduate/license program at the University of the Azores, and you are not Portuguese or from any other state of the European Union, you must apply to the Special Admission Contest, specifically designed for you.
The Special Admission Contest for International Students is meant for students who cumulatively:
- Do not have Portuguese nationality;
- Hold a qualification that allows them to apply to higher education in Portugal or a Portuguese secondary school diploma or legally equivalent qualification.
The International Student Status is NOT meant for:
- Citizens from Portugal or from other States of the European Union;
- Family members of Portuguese nationals nor European Union member State nationals, regardless of their nationality;
- Foreign students who legally live in Portugal for more than two straight years up to January 1st of the year in which they apply to higher education, as well as any descendants with whom they legally live;
- Beneficiaries, on January 1st 2022, of the equal rights and duties status, under the international treaty granted between the Portuguese State and the State of which they are nationals;
- Foreign students who attend the UAc under international student mobility programs;
- Foreign students applying to higher education through the special admission contests regulated by Decree-Law 393-A/99, of October 2, amended by Decree-Law 272/2009, of October 1, namely: a) Scholarship students from Portuguese-speaking African countries, within the framework of cooperation agreements signed by the Portuguese State; b) Foreign employees of diplomatic missions accredited in Portugal and their relatives residing here, in a regime and reciprocity; c) Naturals and sons of natives of the territory of Timor-Leste;
- Students with, at the time of application, more than one nationality, one of which is Portuguese or of another member state of the European Union.
The entry conditions are established by the Regulation of the Special Admission Competition for International Students.
The University of the Azores accepts applications to its undergraduate programs/ integrated masters from non-European citizens who:
a) hold a qualification giving access to Higher Education, meaning any diploma or certificate issued by a competent authority in the country in which it was awarded;
b) hold a diploma of Portuguese secondary school or equivalent degree, in accordance with Decree-Law 227/2005, of December 28, and applicable Orders.
Additionally, applicants must check the following a), b) and c) cumulative conditions:
a) have specific academic qualifications in the areas of knowledge required for the cycle of studies they are applying for, that is, have admission exams carried out in the calendar year or in the three calendar years prior to the application, which may be one of the following:
i. admission exams established for the cycle of studies in question within the scope of the general access and admission regime (National Access Competition);
ii. homologous courses of the admission exams1;
iii. admission exams to foreign higher education recognized by the University of the Azores (ENEM, Vestibular, Gaokao, Unified Access Exam, Ser Bachiller, State Exam) or who have completed the International Baccalaureate – Diploma Program (DP);
iv. written exam(s) held at the University of the Azores, in the language in which the study cycle is taught, and incident on the subjects of the entrance exams established for the study cycle in question within the scope of the general access and admission regime;
b) have a level of knowledge of Portuguese equivalent to level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR);
c) meet the prerequisites established for each study cycle in the National Access Competition.
1) The courses considered homologous are established annually by the National commission of Higher Education Admission in accordance with the provisions of article 20-A of the Decree-Law No. 296-A/98m of September 25, republished by Decree-Law No. 90/2008, of 30 May.
If you approved in any of the following exams no later than three years before your application (2019-2021), you are excused of doing other exams.
|Brasil||ENEM – Exame Nacional de Ensino Médio (candidates with a final score equal to or higher than 475) / Vestibular|
|China||Gaokao (candidates with a final score equal or higher to 50% of the maximum score of the exam in each region/province)|
|China (Macao)||Exame Unificado de Acesso|
|Colombia||Examen de Estado|
|—||International Baccalaureate (Diploma Programme – DP)|
WRITTEN EXAMS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF THE AZORES
Candidates for the Special Admission Contest for International Students who do not have admission exams, homologous courses of the admission exams, admission exams recognized by the UAc (ENEM, Vestibular, Gaokao, Unified Access Exam, Ser Bachiller, Examen de Estado) or who do not who have completed the International Baccalaureate – Diploma Program (DP) must take written exam(s) held at the University of the Azores, which vary depending on the degree, in order to apply for the contest.
List of written exams by degree
Exam inscription schedule here
Content matrixes and model exams
Portuguese Language Exam:
Biology and Geology Exam:
Classes are taught in Portuguese. It is required a level of knowledge of Portuguese equivalent to
level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Teachers may authorize essays/paper works, examinations or oral presentations in English. Also,
the list of recommended literature in most subjects contains a sufficient number of articles/books
For school year 2022/2023 (3rd Phase), the UAc provides the following vacancies:
|School of Agrarian & Environmental Sciences
Campus of Angra do Heroísmo
Agricultural Sciences (6 semesters)
Nature and Patrimony (6 semesters)
|School of Business & Economics
Campus of Ponta Delgada
|Economics (6 semesters)||0|
|Management (6 semesters)||5|
|Tourism (6 semesters)||2|
|School of Sciences and Technology
Campus of Ponta Delgada
|Biology (6 semesters)||4|
|Civil Protection and Risk Management (6 semesters)||2|
|Informatics (6 semesters)||3|
|School of Social Sciences & Humanities
Campus of Ponta Delgada
|Education (6 semesters)||0|
|History (6 semesters)||0|
|Portuguese and English Studies (6 semesters)||0|
|Psychology (6 semesters)||2|
|Communication and Public Relations (6 semesters)||2|
|Social Service (7 semesters)||3|
|Sociology (6 semesters)||0|
|School of Health
Campus of Angra do Heroísmo
|School of Health
Campus of Ponta Delgada
* The integrated master in Pharmaceutical Sciences is taught in partnership with the Faculty of Pharmacy of the University of Porto. The University of the Azores offers the first two years and the remaining three are taught at the University of Porto.
TUITION & FEES
Tuition for 2022/2023 are as follows:
|UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS||TUITION PER YEAR|
|Agrarian Sciences||3 500€|
|Civil Protection and Risk Management||3 500€|
|Nature and Patrimony||3 500€|
|Portuguese and English Studies||3 000€|
|Public Relations and Communication||3 000€|
|Social Work||3 000€|
|School||Integrated Master (5 years)||1st and 2nd Year|
|School of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences –
*The tuition for the 3rd, 4th and 5th years is the one in use in the Faculty of Pharmacy of the University of Porto.
Tuition may be paid up to 10 installments.
- Application fee is 50€ non-refundable. Applicants living in Portugal may pay through ATM or in the treasury services at the University of the Azores in Ponta Delgada or Angra do Heroísmo; applicants living abroad may pay by credit card safely and without any additional costs.
- Written exam inscription 50€
- Request for a copy of the written exam 10€
- Request for a re-examination of the written exam 30€
- Certificate of Classification in written exam 5€
- Enrollment fee is 20€ non-refundable.
APPLICATIONS & DEADLINES
Calendar for the Special Admission Contest for International Students in 2022 is as follows:
|Applications and verification of admissibility by the Services||27/02/2023||28/02/2023|
|Disclosure of results||21/04/2023|
|Registration and enrolment||26/04/2023||02/05/2023|
|Applications and verification of admissibility by the Services||04/05/2023||26/05/2023|
|Disclosure of results||09/06/2022|
|Registration and enrolment||14/06/2023||21/06/2023|
|Applications and verification of admissibility by the Services||27/06/2023||29/06/2023|
|Disclosure of results||04/07/2023|
|Registration and enrolment||05/07/2023||10/07/2023|
The opening of the 2nd phase depends on the existence of vacancies left over from the previous phase.
If case of remaining vacancies after the 2nd phase, the Rectory may decide on the opening of a 3rd
phase of applications.
The verification of the satisfaction of the prerequisites is carried out in the manner required of other students, namely within the scope of the general access and admission regime.
The following prerequisites are required for the study cycles of:
- Civil Protection and Risk Management – Grupo D – Capacidade de visão
- Communication and Public Relations – Grupo B – Comunicação interpessoal
- Education – Grupo B – Comunicação interpessoal
- History – Grupo B – Comunicação interpessoal
- Nursing (Angra do Heroísmo) – Grupo A – Comunicação interpessoal
- Nursing (Ponta Delgada) – Grupo A – Comunicação interpessoal
- Pharmaceutical Sciences – Grupo B – Comunicação interpessoal
- Portuguese and English Studies – Grupo B – Comunicação interpessoal
The application fee is €50.00 (euros), non-refundable.
Make sure you have these documents with you when you fill in your application:
a) copy of identification card/passport, that clearly indicates the nationality of the applicant;
b) honour statement that the applicant does not have Portuguese nationality nor is covered by the Decree-Law 62/2018, of August 6 (no. 2 and 3);
c) Portuguese Secondary School diploma or equivalent foreign qualification, duly validated by the competent authorities;
d) candidates who have a foreign academic qualification that grants access to higher education in the country in which it was obtained, not covered by the previous paragraph, must attach the document proving that qualification to the application;
e) for the application to the cycle of studies with access prerequisites, a document attesting that the candidate holds them.
Depending on each case, candidates must also attach to their application form a document proving that they have a specific academic qualification for access to the cycle of studies, applicable in each situation, duly validated by the authorities:
a) Applicants who have completed admission exams for higher education acknowledged by the University of the Azores (ENEM, Vestibular, Gaokao, Exame Unificado de Acesso, Ser Bachiller, Examen de Estado and International Baccalaureate) must attach a document proving their final score(s);
b) Applicants who have successfully completed admission exams for higher education in Portugal as self-proposed must attach a document proving their final score(s);
c) Applicants who have approved courses taken abroad considered homologous(1) to the Portuguese admission exams required for the cycle of studies they are applying to must attach a document proving their final score(s) and contents in the course(s), unless the applicable
law, at the application’s date, provides for the dismissal of such document:
d) Applicants who have taken and passed the written exam(s) held at the University of the Azores must attach to their application form a document proving their approval in the same(s).
Applicants who do not hold a Portuguese secondary education diploma or who do not have a qualification obtained in Portuguese-speaking countries must present documentary evidence that they
have a degree of knowledge of Portuguese equivalent to level B2, according to the CEFR.
Documents proving qualifications obtained abroad must be authenticated by the Portuguese embassy or consulate in the country of origin, or by the Hague Convention Apostille.
Documents proving qualifications obtained abroad that have not been issued in Portuguese, Spanish, French or English must be translated and authenticated.
Applicants who wish to benefit from the student in emergency situations for humanitarian reasons status must provide documentation proving that they are in the referred situation, issued by the Borders Service and by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees or by the International
Organization for Migrations.
(1)The homologous courses are established annually by the National Commission of Higher Education Admission in accordance to no. 20-A of Decree-Law 296-A/98, of September 25, republished by Decree-Law 90/2008, of May 30.
After publication of the application results, proceed to formalize your registration within the period specified in the notice.
For this purpose, you must pay the registration fee (€ 20), as well as school insurance € 3.08 (upgradable value annually).
The registration will only be completed successfully after the payment of such amounts. We recommend sending the proof of payment to email@example.com.
READMISSION AND COURSE CHANGE
If you are or have already have been enrolled in the UAc or in other Portuguese University, as an international student, you can apply to readmission or course change. To learn more about this please contact the Academic Management Services of the UAc.
1st phase application results:
2nd phase application results: Available according to the calendar